Monday, August 4, 2014

"[Sadza and sour mild] its not bad. Not saying I want to [eat it everyday] but still" -Princess Bride "That is just a [none member] and they are just as scared of you as you are of them."-Over the Hedge

Well this week was good.   We ate dinner one night with the Zviraow family, and they fed us... you guessed it Sadza.   UGH!   I can't stand the stuff.   However, they also gave us some stuff they call sour milk, which is like plain yogurt, with a little bit of sugar.   And so you put the Sadza in the milk, and it actually gives it a decent flavor and makes it bearable.   Not that I want to eat Sadza and sour milk very often, I have been avoiding Sadza like the plague, but it was a nice way to eat it.   

I am gonna be honest, I have fallen out of the habit of talking to people on the streets.   I could blame it on the language barrier, but I think I have just been lazy and have lost the habit.   The good news is my companion and I began contacting again.   Contacting for those who don't know is when you try to start a gospel conversation with a non member.   So it was actually fun, even though the language did cause some problems.   But I am sure as I continue to work and try to get things done that I will hopefully get to be able to speak shona with out being laughed at.   People say it is because of my accent that people laugh when I use it.   My companion says I sound like a cowboy, and so that means that I have a southern drawl... that is interesting, being that I have never been to the south, but I listened to enough country music to make up for that fact I guess.   

This week we found a powerful Baba (father).   Here in Zim we are focused on finding Baba led families, to try to increase the number of active Priesthood holders.   This Baba's name is Bother Msipa.   And he is great.   He wants his family to learn and he accepted Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon without hesitation.   The Lord truly is preparing His elect to hear the message of the Gospel.   We were challenged this week to work more with the Book of Mormon, so I have for the most part put my Bible aside and am trying to use the Book of Mormon.  Which is difficult since I know the Bible so much better.   It has been a challenge finding verses that I can remember where they are in the Book of Mormon that teach the same things I would be teaching with my usual Bible verses.   Don't worry, my Bible has not taken a back seat.   I still teach from it and use it in my studies and every thing.   But it is a nice opportunity to work on my Book of Mormon knowledge.

My companion has been a little sick again this week.   We took him to a clinic and found out he has to much acid in his stomach which explains why he always feels sick to his stomach.   Now that he has some medication to help with that things are going great.   We are working hard, and we are both learning the area pretty well.   I love the guy.   

"I have seen enough ups and downs in my life to know that winter will surely give way to the warmth and hope of spring."
-Dieter F Utchdorf 

"With thoughtless and impatient hands we tangle up the plans the Lord hath wrought.  And when we cry in pain he saith 'be quiet, man, while I untie the knot."
-Unknown

This life can be full of ups and downs.   There is a family that I used to teach in California that is experiencing one of the downs of life currently.   To that family and to all of us I testify that there is a plan in place.   The Lord is aware and is always there to untie the knots that we often get into in this life, wither because of others or ourselves.   The "ups" will come, the knot will be untied, and we will come out stronger then we went in.   The Lord loves us and will never leave us helpless or friendless.   I know that "The best laid plans of mice and men will often come to not" or how ever that quote goes.   But I know with a certainty that the plans of our Father in Heaven can not and will not "come to not".   Have courage, have faith and "press forward with steadfast faith in Christ" as the hymn says.   God lives, and He is over all.   I know this with all of my heart.   

I love you all.   

"I told you, didn't I tell him about the feet?   He did tell you about the feet."
"You start barking at some strange mutt... stop that racket you'll wake the baby!"
"What do I look like a steak to you?   Yeah!! See I told you I didn't wait what you say?   Oh Yeah."
"I don't recollect that I've ever mentioned Old Reliable?   Aye, you have lad."

No comments:

Post a Comment