Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My First WOW six days at the MTC

Hello Family, Friends, and Loved ones.   

It is hard to believe that I have only been in the MTC for six days.   It feels like so much more then that to me and to my companion.   I arrived here on Wednesday of last week.   Mom cried a little.   Not nearly so much as I had expected her to though.   I was dropped off at the curb and two very friendly Elders who told me they were going to New Jersey to speak Korean.   How cool is that?!
They took me around the MTC grounds and helped me find my name tag, the packets I would need and my Residence Hall.   Honestly I had very few questions I was so excited to be there, however I did ask them to show me the Creme Soda tree, and Elder Dunn was right.   It does in fact smell like Creme Soda.   After that they took me to my class room and I got to meet my new companion.

My companions name is Elder Mathew Butterfield, and he is from South Jordan Utah.   I like to think that we instantly connected.   He knows Sign Language just like me!   Then we got to meet the rest of our District and Zone.   This all feels like soooo long ago to me.   We got to then go and meet the Mission President of the MTC and his Presidency.   The day went very well, with bonds of friendship forming between my companion and I and between our room mates Elders Write and Stimpson.   

The entire week we wake at 6:30 in the morning (or earlier if you want to beat the rush to the showers) and then you get dressed and go to study.   You have individual and Companion study.   Then you usually go to breakfast.   Most days you get 30-45 minuets for your meals (it all depends on your schedule).   Then you go to class.   The classes can vary form studying a certain section of Preach My Gospel, to passages of Scripture, to the Fundamentals of Missionary work.   I feel like I've learned so much already.   My entire class looks to me for doctrinal/scriptural knowledge.   We'll be sitting in class and someone will say something along the lines of "Elder Melot, where can I find a scripture on this principle or that that topic. (I couldn't think of a specific example my mind just went blank.)   It is kind of fun.   And there is no down time between getting here and teaching.   Day two our first day of learning we began to prepare to teach investigators.   They weren't kidding when they said that from the instance you step out of your car onto the grounds you are in your service.   The past several days have continued like that (with a few variables in the schedule like gym time or some such) and looks like it will continue to do so until we leave.   

Still no word on the visa situation, but we are planned to leave this Sunday for.... somewhere.   Yesterday Elder Merrit came into class and was all like "I know where we are going to be sent."   We were all so excited until he said "On and Adventure."   We all were a little irritated at him for that.   But it is all in fun.   

I've really enjoyed being here thus far and I can't wait to get into the Field.   

Much Love,

Elder Andrew Michael Melot

No comments:

Post a Comment