Monday, August 25, 2014

"You don't speak a word of [english] do you?-Men in Black "Why is the [water] gone? Why is the [water] always gone?"-Pirates of the Caribbean

Well it turns out that not to many people here in Chegutu speak much English.   It is a little difficult to have lessons and for me to contribute when the majority of it is in Shona.   I am working on they Shone, and I can catch parts of conversations, but I can't speak it to save my life.   It is funny how few people understand me.   The children are still the same.   Half of them want to see me because I am a marondgo and am different, the other half look at me like I am Der Kinterlumper and I'm gonna put them in a Gunter Sack.(If you don't know that reference you need to watch Phineas and Ferb).   So it is interesting.  

Another interesting thing, is that we haven't had a reliable water supply for the past week.   They are bringing us our water today, which is good.   Cause bucket baths get irritating after a while.   Our Land Lord has been bringing us containers of water every few days, but it is never quiet enough to do everything that we want to do.   So having our water filled up will be great.   I am excited for that.   And I need to wash Shela(the name I have given my car.)

I am being safe, the other drivers of course are always another story.   I like the stick, it is the clutch that I am struggling with.   But I am getting better.   It is mostly flat out here, a few little hills, but nothing to bad.   I learned to drive kind of like Kenji did when he first learned.   Under fire.   

"Quiet down fish."   My companion is Elder Hove, which in Shona means fish.   It is interesting, cause every name means something out here.   There is no meaningless name in the whole of Zimbabwe, at least in the parts I have been to.   They think it is super weird that many of our names as Americans don't really have meaning.   They find it weird that I don't know the meaning of Melot.   My companion is a good guy.   Out for three months on mission, which means I am his breaker(first companion after training is finished).   It has been a good start to the transfer.   

We are currently having church in the Pfupagena High School.  It is interesting meeting in a high school class room for church.   Not to mention that we had sixteen people yesterday.   It is a "group" which means it is to small to be a Branch just yet.   And it is run under the authority of the mission.   Our President is President Sibisha, who is a return missionary from the Zim mission also. We are working hard, and things are looking like they will go well.   Starting from the ground up, gonna make a branch and then hopefully a ward, and then who knows.   Things will go great.

"With faith comes trials of faith, bringing increased faith"
-Neil L Anderson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

"God does notice us and He watches over us.   But is usually through another person that He meets our needs.   Therefore it is vital that we serve each other."
-Spencer W Kimball Twelfth Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 

"Doesn't it seem foolish to spoil sweet and joyful experiences because we are constantly anticipating the moment when they will end?"
-Dieter F. Utchdorf Second Councilor in the First Presidency

Often times in life we face struggles.   We feel like we are in a bad situation that we need to leave.   We feel like we are being put through to much for us to handle.   We feel like if we were in a different situation then things would be better.   We wonder why we are going through these hardships.   The answer is simple.   We came here to be tried and tested.   And if we prove true, then we will inherit "all that the Father has".   The Lord has counseled us in the scriptures to "act upon this land as for years (D&C 51:17) and has commanded us to "lift up [our] hearts and rejoice".    This two shall pass, one of the most influential people in my life often told me.   When life gets hard, we need to trust in the love of our Heavenly Father.   I know he loves us and I know he is there.   He will always take care of us and give us what we need.   Thomas S Monson said "I promise that one day you will look back on your hard times, and realize that He was always there with you".   I know that is true.   Hold of to faith.   The Book of Mormon says "ye receive no witness till after the trial of your faith."   

"He never listens, it runs in the family.   And when he does it is always with this disappointed scowl  like someone skimped on the meat in his sandwich."
"Why are you so fat?   Because sometimes instead of taking care of my problems I just eat."
"The sun was in my eyes Astrid, what do you want me to do?   Block out the sun?   I could do that, just give me time."
"I know what makes you a boy.   You do?   Its your bald head.   Sometimes I like to imagine a little chick popping out of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment