Monday, September 1, 2014

"There's 104 days of summer vacation, then school comes along just to end it"-Phineaus and Ferb "One [murungu] alone"-Transformers 2 "Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"-Rush Hour

It is really hard to believe that school begins tomorrow for all my friends and family members who are still in school.   It is weird that summer has gone past, for those of you in the northern hemisphere, and school is there.   Wow, I mean just wow.   Who would have thought time would go by so fast.   NOT ME!

I gotta say, it is interesting being the only white guy in my district.   We go to district lunch and everyone else gets Sadza, I get rice.   They all speak Shona.   I do my sign language.   It is fun, and we are getting along great.   It is just funny, the children here are still always so shocked to see me.   They all know my name now, Elder Hove's name on the other hand, not a one of them.   It is funny how that worked out.   Also I have learned that there are a lot of people here who speak very little English, and apparently I still have an accent cause lots of people struggle to understand me.   The feeling is often mutual.   It is sad really, but we are getting things done.

This week we are doing great.   Lots of people to teach, and several who have accepted the invitation to be baptized.   Lots of people who don't understand the proper way to baptize.    There are lots who were dipped in the water three times, or who were sprinkled.   All we have to do is pull out Matthew 3:13-16 and Romans 6:3-4 to help them to know how Jesus Christ was baptized and then they want to do it the right way.   Then we talk about Priesthood Authority and how without that it is like an icecream man trying to write you a ticket, and then they want to know who has that authority to baptize, and it all flows from there.   The people are so ready to accept the restored gospel, it is amazing.   President Cook and Sister Cook came to Sacrament meeting yesterday.   Afterwards we had a meeting as missionaries and President Cook encouraged and directed us in the work.  We finished with a powerful prayer for the area, and the people in Chegutu, for us missionaries and for the members, with President Cook calling down the powers of Heaven by the Authority of the Priesthood.   It was like a dedicatory prayer for our area.   It was awesome.   Oh, and President Cook basically told us to expect all of us to be here for at least two transfers.   So awesome, gonna be here for a while.



My companion and I are sick today.   It has been coming on for a while.   So now it is coughing, sneezing, sniffles, and head aches for yours truly.   I hate being sick.   It must be all the dust in the air, since it isn't cold here.   We are heading into Summer time, and everyone tells me it will get hotter before the rains come.   Man I am already dying as it is, and it is gonna get hotter?   Someone told me that by the end of summer my skin will be black as a natives.   That might be interesting.   

"I hope to be judged as good a man as my father.   Before I hear those words 'well done' from my Heavenly Father I hope to first hear them from my mortal father."
-Boyde K. Packer President of the Qurome of the Twelve Apostles

"So lesson number one from the Lord's vineyard: coveting, pouting, or tearing others down does not elevateyour standing, nor does demeaning someone else improve your self-image. So be kind and be grateful that God is kind. It is a happy way to live."
-Geoffrey R. Holland of the Qurome of the Twelve Apostles.

"Knowing the Gospel is true is the essance of a testimony. Constantly being true to the gospel is the essence of conversion."
-David A. Bednar of the Qurome of the Twelve Apostles.

I have been reading the Conference edition of the Liahona as of late, and I mean a lot of them.   I love to see how the people who are asked to speak(even though they aren't given an assigned topic like people in most church meetings when asked to give a talk) are prompted to talk on things that connect to each other.   The last few I have read have contained talks about the importance parents have in raising their children to obey God, and follow His commandments.   The talks seem to carry over from one person to another, following the message and building on it.   It never ceases to amaze me how powerful these men and women are, and how well they express their feelings and help us to feel the Spirit.   I am excited for next month when we get another General Conference.   I know that the leaders of this Church are called of God.   I know we have living Prophets and Apostles on the Earth.   I know God loves us and guides us.   I know that His hand is in our lives if only we will see it.   George Strait has a great song called "I Saw God Today" and it's message is that if we will look we will see God in our lives, if only we will look.  We have been teaching a man here, Constable Nherera, who has had some hardships in his life, and as we have been teaching him, he has told us of things that have happened in his daily life since we began to teach him, that I believe are tender mercies from God.   He has began to see God in his life, and I know we call all do the same.   

"You're almost ready to take over the restaurant, like I took it over from my father, who took it over from his father who won it from a friend in a game of Majang."
"Well my insides are already super peaceful, so what was it you did with your foot there?"
"Put that down! The only suviners we collect here are bloody knuckles and broken bones."
"Were close, I feel a kung fo chill running down my spine... sorry that's just me."

Do you know these ones?   They are number one and two.   

Love you all.    

No comments:

Post a Comment